The Community Development and Justice Standing Committee is conducting an inquiry into custodial arrangements in police lock-ups across Western Australia, which is yet to report. The terms of reference include:
- Whether current arrangements fully comply with the recommendations of the Royal Commission into Aboriginal Deaths in Custody and the Optional Protocol to the Convention Against Torture;
- Access by detainees to medical and legal services and other third parties;
- Lock-up design, staffing and administration;
- Training of custodial officers on cultural issues;
- The appropriateness of oversight mechanisms and procedures for lock-up staff and processes.
If you would like more information on our submission, please contact the Policy Officer on 08 9265 6666.